I used to be a Flight Attendant. For six years I travelled the world be it working on a 14 hour flight to New York or 5 hour flight to Istanbul so when I travel for work now, I know what you need to do to feel great at the other side!
Here are my top tips for ensuring you feel great when you’re travelling and working away.
- Water is key. Drink water, not booze on the plane. On a holiday I will knock back wine like it’s the last bottle on the face of the earth but on a work trip… never! Every part of your event, from the site visit to flying out to the actual conference you should be observing and taking it all in. How fast is the service? where do the buses leave from? how smooth is customs? I take in absolutely everything and don’t want to miss a thing so whilst it might be tempting to have that wine, don’t! it’s just not worth it. Drinking water is essential to keep you hydrated during the flight. You’re sharper when your hydrated, less sluggish or I find, have more energy.
- Look professional. I know it’s tempting to wear jeans (and I have once or twice) but I try not to. Even when your flying out way before your clients you are still representing your company when you arrive at the hotel or meeting your suppliers. I always want to look professional and I just don’t think jeans project that image. sorry!
- Over-pack. Who cares if you have to check your bag in? personally, I would rather have too much than not enough. Every day on-site you need to look professional and presentable. Don’t wear the same outfit from yesterday for god’s sake. Presentation counts for a lot and by bringing more than you need, you won’t be left scrounging around for something to wear when that alarm goes off at 6.00 am.
- Work out. Blah – it drives me insane when people say they don’t have time to exercise. Every single person has the same amount of hours in the day and if some can, you can. Get up early it really is that simple. So you went to bed at 2.00 am after a gala dinner and have to get up at 6.00 am to check breakfast. So what, 30 minutes extra sleep will make NO DIFFERENCE and the benefits of squeezing in a quick workout will make you feel way better than an extra 30 minutes sleep. Just set the alarm and do it. Exercise is important to keep a healthy mind and keep focus. I think it is so important to try to fit in some form of exercise every day.
- Eat Well. When you’re working away, it is so tempting to buffet-it-up at every meal, because it is there and it is easy and it is fuel but it is just going to make you feel like crap. Try and think ahead so you don’t let yourself get so hungry that you hit the buffet. I like to take along my own protein bars, nuts and fruit in my bag so that if I am running low I will always have something on hand. Try it!
Let me know what your top tips are for staying healthy when travelling?